- E-mail the editor of the section you wish to write for. The contacts for the news, arts and sports editors can be found on our staff page. The editors will talk to you about your interest, experience and availability for volunteering and may give you a writing assignment.
- For those interested in volunteering as a photographer, illustrator or in a non-editorial role such as providing business services, marketing and promotion planning, please contact Natasha Marar, editor-in-chief, at email@example.com or 519-253-3000 ext. 3909.
- Stop by The Lance office to meet our editors and see how you can help! Our office is located in Room B-91 in the basement of the CAW Student Centre.
Please note that The Lance does not accept unsolicited stories. An article must be approved by a section editor before it is assigned to a reporter.
- Do I need experience?
- What’s the time commitment?
- I can’t commit as a volunteer, can I still send in story ideas?
- Can I do an internship or work study placement at The Lance?
- Does The Lance offer paid positions?
You don’t need any experience to volunteer! Many of our staff have post-secondary education in journalism and writing experience and are willing to train volunteers. The Lance is the place on campus for students to learn journalism and get published. Volunteering is great experience before moving on to paid staff positions at The Lance.
Volunteer are free to write one story a semester or one a week. The commitment is totally up to you. Please communicate your availability to the section editor you wish to work with and they’ll make sure to accommodate you.
If writing is not your thing or you don’t have time to volunteer, feel free to forward any story ideas or news tips to one of our editors (depending on the topic of your story).
The Lance welcomes interns and co-op students from the University of Windsor, St. Clair College and area high schools. We also take on work study students from the university and those involved in the Volunteer Internship Program (VIP). Available positions for work study and the VIP will be posted each semester.
The Lance hires new staff every spring for one-year contract positions starting in May. These positions often go to existing volunteers, staff or those with previous experience. Staff positions will be posted on this website, in the newspaper and through various job websites/mailing lists.
Letters must not exceed 500 words. Please include your full name, e-mail address, telephone number and position/status at the University of Windsor (if applicable). Letters must be received by 4 p.m. on Friday by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters should reflect topics that are timely and of interest to students, the University of Windsor and/or the greater Windsor community. The Lance reserves the right to edit for length, grammar and clarity, or to reject any letter.