by Caleb Workman
It’s no secret with tuition, gas, text book prices and costs of living on a steady rise, many students are in need of assistance to pay for their education.
The University of Windsor Work Study program provides students who need help paying for tuition with jobs around campus.
The program is available to domestic students who have applied for government assistance but the assistance is not enough to cover direct educational costs, as well as undergraduate international students who prove financial need with additional information and documentation supporting their application. The program is not available for international graduate students as of now.
The program fills about 300 part-time positions available to students and claims to help towards both financial benefits and skill development. All positions pay $12 per hour plus four per cent vacation pay.
The deadline for application is Oct. 15 and the Confirmation for Hiring form deadline will be extended to Jan. 31 if employers have open positions.
- Prove financial need
- Be in a registered degree program at the University of Windsor
- Maintain 60 per cent of a full course load, 40 per cent for students with permanent disability and 80 percent for international students in each term
- Be in good academic standing
- Domestic students must have completed OSAP or government aid assessment
- International students must be in their second to fourth year with documented unexpected and extenuating financial circumstances
- Complete a Work Study application and fully and accurately budget by Oct. 15
- Undergraduate students must work 5-24 hours a week, graduate students must work at least five overs and average no more than ten a week.
The application for domestic and international undergraduates started on Aug. 1 and will continue to be open until Oct. 15. Students can log on to myUWINDSOR, click on “Financial Matters” then “Search for Awards” and follow the directions from there. Domestic students must apply to the University of Windsor Work Study Program application and international students must apply to the University of Windsor Work Study Program – International application.
For a full briefing and more information on the program, visit uwindsor.ca/awards/work-study-student-information.